Our intention is that when children leave Ewyas Harold Primary School, they do so with the knowledge, understanding and emotions to be able to play an active, positive and successful role in today's diverse society. We want our children to have high aspirations, a strong belief in themselves and know that they can achieve highly when they put their minds to it. In an ever-changing world it is important that they are aware, to an appropriate level, of different factors which will affect their world and that they learn how to deal with these so that they have good mental health and well-being.
Our PSHE curriculum develops learning and results in the acquisition of the knowledge and skills that will enable them to access the wider curriculum and prepare them to be a global citizen now, and in the future. It promotes the spiritual, moral, cultural, mental and physical development of pupils, preparing them for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences for later life. Our Relationships and Sex Education enables our children to learn how to be safe, and to understand and develop healthy relationships, both now and in their future lives.
Our RSE and PSHE curriculum is planned to develop children’s wellbeing and help them grow into active, healthy, responsible and enterprising individuals.
Reception - In Reception PSHE and citizenship is taught an an integral part of topic work and is embedded throughout the curriculum. The objectives taught are the Personal, Social and Emotional Development statements from 'Development Matters in the EYFS' and the PSED Early Learning Goals. Reception also use the Jigsaw Scheme of work materials.
Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2 - At KS1 and KS2, PSHE is taught through a clear and comprehensive scheme of work in line with the National Curriculum.
Pupils are taught PSHE using 'Jigsaw' which is a spiral, progressive scheme of work which 'aims to prepare children for life, helping them to grow and value who they are and understand how they relate to other people in this ever-changing world'. There is a strong emphasis on emotional literacy, building resilience and nurturing mental and physical health. It includes mindfulness to allow children to advance their emotional awareness, concentration and focus.
At Ewyas Harold, in addition to Relationships Education, we also teach aspects of Sex Education that is covered in our Science curriculum. Alongside this we teach about different kinds of relationships, including same sex relationships, and gender identity because it is important that our children should have an understanding of the full diversity of the world they live in and be prepared for life in modern Britain.
PSHE is taught through Jigsaw's six half-termly themes.
Autumn 1: Being Me in My World
Autumn 2: Differences (including anti-bullying)
Spring 1: Dreams and Goals
Spring 2: Healthy Me
Summer 1: Relationships
Summer 2: Changing Me
By the time children leave Ewyas Harold Primary School they will:
- be able to approach a range of real life situations and apply their skills and attributes to help navigate themselves through modern life
- be on their way to becoming healthy, open minded, respectful, socially and morally responsible, active members of society
- appreciate difference and diversity
- recognise and apply the British Values of Democracy, Tolerance, Mutual respect, Rule of law and Liberty
- be able to understand and manage their emotions
- be able to look after their mental health and well-being
- be able to develop positive, healthy relationship with their peers both now and in the future.
- understand the physical aspects involved in RSE at an age appropriate level
- have respect for themselves and others.
- have a positive self esteem